Young Imagineers Competition Terms and Conditions 2018
For the parent or legal guardian: Please read these terms and conditions carefully, it governs participation of the child that you are responsible for in the Young Imagineers 2018 competition. By allowing the child that you are responsible for to submit an entry you agree to the child you are responsible for participating in the Young Imagineers 2018 competition, in accordance with these terms and conditions and acknowledge the use of personal information about you and the child that you are responsible for as set out below and in the privacy notice.
IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS,THE CHILD THAT YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR IS NOT PERMITTED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE YOUNG IMAGINEERS 2018 COMPETITION AND TO AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT PLEASE DO NOT PERMIT THE CHILD YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR TO SUBMIT AN ENTRY.
For the entrant: By entering this Competition, you are indicating your agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions and acknowledge how information about you may be used.
The title of this competition is the Young Imagineers 2018 Competition (the Competition).
The promoter is: Equinor UK Limited of One Kingdom Street, London, W2 6BD (the Promoter).
3. How to enter
3.1 The Competition will run from 09.00 BST on Thursday 12 July 2018 (the Opening Date) to 23:59 GMT on Sunday 21 October 2018 (the Closing Date) inclusive.
3.2 All Competition entries must be received by the Promoter using the online portal at www.youngimagineers.equinor.com by no later than 23:59 GMT on the Closing Date. All Competition entries received after the Closing Date are automatically disqualified.
3.3 To enter the Competition, entrants need to:
- (a) obtain a parent or legal guardian’s permission to participate in the Competition;
- (b) download the entry form provided on the Young Imagineers website www.youngimagineers.equinor.com
- (c) draw a sketch of their invention;
- (d) accompany that sketch with up to 100 words explaining what it is; and
- (e) scan or photograph the entry and submit a digital copy using the online portal at www.youngimagineers.equinor.com along with the completed entry form by the Closing Date.
3.4 Fully completed entry forms must be submitted. We will try to make reasonable efforts to contact any entrants whose form is not fully completed but we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do this and any entry forms not fully completed will be disqualified. Please carefully check the entry whenever it is submitted to ensure they are complete.
4.1 The Competition is only open to all residents in the UK, Isle of Man and Channel Islands aged between 7 and 14 years old on the date of the Young Imagineers 2018 live event on Saturday 24 November 2018 except:
- (a) employees of the Promoter or any company that is in the same group of companies as the Promoter;
- (b) employees of agents or suppliers of the Promoter or any company that is in the same group of companies as the Promoter, who are professionally connected with the competition or its administration;
- (c) employees of the Science Museum or any company that is in the same group of companies as the Science Museum; or
- (d) members of the immediate families or households of (a), (b) and (c) above.
4.2 If the competition is not open to you please do not enter. The Promoter may require you to provide proof that you are eligible to enter the competition.
4.3 In addition, all shortlisted entrants will be required to: (i) make themselves available for a remote consultation session with a designer between 22 October 2018 and 29 October 2018: and (ii) attend the Young Imagineers 2018 live event on Saturday 24 November 2018 to answer judges' questions about their design. More details about these are set out in clauses 8 and 9 below. If entrants are not able to attend either of these the Promoter will have the right to disqualify their entry.
4.4 The Promoter will not accept competition entries that are:
- (a) automatically generated by computer;
- (b) completed by third parties or in bulk;
- (c) illegible, have been altered, reconstructed, forged or tampered with; or
- (d) incomplete.
4.5 Entries can be made by individuals only.
4.6 There is a limit of one entry per person.
4.7 The Promoter reserves all rights to disqualify any entrant if their conduct is contrary to the spirit or intention of the Competition.
4.8 Competition entries cannot be returned.
4.9 Neither the Science Museum or Promoter takes any responsibility for any technical failure or malfunction, including but not limited to any failures affecting internet servers or email systems, which may result in any entry to the Competition being lost or not properly registered or recorded.
4.10 There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this Competition.
5. The Prize:
5.1 There are prizes for each of:
- (a) 10 shortlisted entrants of the Competition selected in accordance with clause 6;
- (b) one overall winner of the Competition selected in accordance with clause 10.1.
5.2 The prize for the 10 shortlisted entrants consists of:
- (a) entrance to the Young Imagineers 2018 live event on Saturday 24 November 2018 at the Science Museum in central London (the Event) for the entrant(s) and 1 parent/legal guardian and up to 2 additional guests per entrant ; and
- (b) travel to and from the Event from a UK, Isle of Man or Channel Islands address and one night’s 4-star hotel accommodation in London on 23 November 2018 for the entrant(s) and one parent or legal guardian per entrant, as further detailed and subject to clause 9.
5.3 The prize for the winner consists of:
- (a) one bespoke-designed experience day at the Science Museum in London, on a date to be mutually agreed by the Science Museum, the Promoter and the winner between 1 January 2019 and 30 April 2019. The bespoke-designed experience day includes standard class travel to and from the Science Museum from a UK, Isle of Man or Channel Islands address and one night’s 4-star hotel accommodation in London on the night of the experience day for the winner, plus a friend and one parent/guardian;
- (b) an interpretation of the winning idea will be produced and exhibited inside the Science Museum for a minimum of one month, installed on a date to be mutually agreed by the Science Museum and the Promoter between 1 January 2019 and 30 April 2019 and invitation for the winner (along with 1 parent/legal guardian per winner) to the unveiling of the winning idea on that date;
- (c) annual family pass for Wonderlab: The Equinor Gallery at the Science Museum in London for one year running from January 1st 2019 – December 31st 2019 for the winner; and
- (d) 50 copies of the book This Book Think’s You’re a Scientist for the winner’s school which must be claimed by the school within 30 days following the Event.
5.4 Except as set out expressly in clauses 5.2 and 5.3(a) to 5.3(d) (inclusive) the prizes at clauses 5.2 and 5.3(a) to 5.3(d) (inclusive) do not include travel costs, travel insurance, the cost of transfers to and from airports or stations, accommodation food and drink, spending money, tax or personal expenses. Any costs incurred that are incidental to the fulfilment of the prize are the responsibility of the shortlisted entrants, winner and their parent/legal guardian.
5.5 The prizes are supplied by the Science Museum. The Promoter reserves the right to replace any prize with an alternative prize of equal or higher value if circumstances beyond the Promoter's control makes it necessary to do so.
5.6 The prizes are not negotiable, non-transferable and there is no cash alternative.
5.7 All elements of the prizes are subject to availability.
6.1 Ten shortlisted entries will be chosen from the eligible Competition entries (the Shortlisted Entrants) and will be judged by a panel of four judges based on the criteria set out below:
- (a) Imagination; and
- (b) Creativity.
6.2 The decision of the panel of judges (acting reasonably) will be final.
7. Shortlisted entries announcement
7.1 The Shortlisted Entrants will be notified commencing 22 October 2018 either by telephone or email that they have been shortlisted.
7.2 The Promoter will make all reasonable efforts to contact the Shortlisted Entrants. If it has not been possible to contact a Shortlisted Entrant to confirm their acceptance of their place on the shortlist by Friday 26 October 2018 at 17:00 (GMT), their place on the shortlist will be reallocated to the next eligible entrant.
7.3 The ten shortlisted entries (and the name and age of the Shortlisted Entrants) will be announced through social and editorial media in the week commencing 29 October 2018.
8. Shortlisted entrant design interpretation
8.1 Each Shortlisted Entrant will be offered a Skype (or equivalent technology) session with a professional designer lasting no more than 1 hour. Each Shortlisted Entrant must make themselves available for the one hour session between the hours of 08.00 and 18.00 on any weekday during the two-week period beginning Monday 22 October 2018 and ending Friday 2 November. The Promoter will make all reasonable efforts to accommodate the Shortlisted Entrant's (and parent's/legal guardian's) availability but if the Shortlisted Entrant and a parent or legal guardian is not available to attend the session at the time and date specified by the Promoter, the Promoter will have the right to disqualify the Shortlisted Entrant from the Competition and the Shortlisted Entrant will no longer be eligible to win.
8.2 Each Shortlisted Entrant MUST be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian for the entire duration of the Skype session.
8.3 During the Skype session the designer will take further details of the Shortlisted Entrant’s idea (as entered into the Competition) as required to deliver a designed interpretation of that idea.
8.4 The professional designer will spend a subsequent seven hours producing their design interpretation of each Shortlisted Entrant’s invention. All intellectual property rights and ownership in the design interpretation shall vest in the Promoter. The entrant will not be able to keep or have any rights in the design interpretation.
8.5 All design interpretations are final and cannot be changed.
9. Young Imagineers 2018 Live
9.1 All Shortlisted Entrants are required to be present at the Event. If a Shortlisted Entrant is not able to attend the Event the Promoter shall have the right to disqualify their entry and the competition will continue with the remaining Shortlisted Entrants.
9.2 At the Event each Shortlisted Entrant will be required to answer questions relating to their design from the panel of judges. In selecting the winner, the panel of judges will take into consideration the answers to these questions given by the Shortlisted Entrants
9.3 Media will be present at the Event and entrants and their parents or legal guardians and guests will be asked for their consent and permission to being filmed or photographed by press outlets or the Science Museum’s or Promoter's representatives if in attendance at the Event.
9.4 The Promoter will cover all reasonable travel and accommodation costs associated with the ten Shortlisted Entrants’ visit to London for the Event. All travel (and accommodation where the Shortlisted Entrant lives over 100 miles from the centre of London) arrangements will be managed by the Promoter. The prize does not include travel insurance, the cost of transfers to and from airports or stations, food and drink, spending money, tax or personal expenses.
9.5 The above “reasonable expense costs” set out in clause 9.4 covers the following in relation to each entrant and one parent/legal guardian per entrant only;
- (a) standard class transport from a UK, Isle of Man or Channel Island address to the Event on Saturday 24 November 2018;
- (b) hotel accommodation in London for one night on Friday 23 November 2018; and
- (c) entrance into the Event for the entrant and 1 parent/legal guardian and up to 2 additional guests.
9.6 All Shortlisted Entrants attending the Event must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian for the entire duration of their visit.
9.7 All Shortlisted Entrants attending the Event are entitled to bring more than one parent/guardian as guests (up to a maximum of 2 additional guests), however any expenses associated with their attendance will not be covered by the Science Museum or Promoter.
10. The Winner
10.1 The winner will be chosen from the eligible Shortlisted Entrants and will be judged by a panel of four judges reviewing the entries and the related design interpretation of the invention and the answers given by the Shortlisted Entrants about their inventions in response to the judge’s questions. The judges will select the winner based on the criteria set out below:
- (a) Imagination; and
- (b) Creativity.
10.2 The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into.
10.3 The winner will be announced at the Event on 24 November 2018 (Announcement Date).
10.4 The Promoter will contact the winner personally as soon as practicable after the Announcement Date, either in person at the Event or using the telephone number or email address provided with the Competition entry.
10.5 The Promoter will send the name and county of the winner to anyone who writes within one month after the Closing Date of the competition requesting details of the winner and who encloses a self-addressed envelope to the Promoter.
11. Claiming the prize
11.1 The Promoter does not accept any responsibility if you are not able to take up the prize.
12. Ownership of competition entries and intellectual property rights
12.1 The Promoter does not claim any rights of ownership in your Competition entry.
12.2 You agree that the Promoter and the Science Museum may, but are not required to, make your entry available on their websites and any other media, whether now known or invented in the future, and in connection with any publicity of the Competition. You agree to grant the Promoter and Science Museum a perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable licence of any intellectual property rights in the Competition entry and any accompanying materials, to use, display, publish, transmit, copy, edit, alter, store, re-format and sub-licence the Competition entry and any accompanying materials for such purposes.
13. Data protection and publicity
13.1 The Promoter will only process your personal information as set out in the privacy notice
13.2 If you are a Shortlisted Entrant or the winner of the Competition, you acknowledge that the Promoter will use and disclose your name, age, image and town or county of residence online or in other publicity materials to announce the Shortlisted Entrants and/or winner of this Competition and, if you are the winner, will use and disclose your name and town or county of residence to third parties who request such information in accordance with clause 10.5.
13.3 The Promoter and/or the Science Museum may wish to use the names, likenesses, photographs and cities of residence (or other personal information) of the Shortlisted Entrants and winner for promotional purposes relating to the Competition. The Promoter and/or Science Museum will contact the Shortlisted Entrants and winner separately to obtain prior agreement and parental/legal guardians' consent to any such use.
13.4 Any personal information provided by you with the Competition entry will be held and used by the Promoter or its agents and suppliers (including the Science Museum) to administer the Competition as set out in more detail in the privacy notice.
14.1 The full names of the judges are available at www.youngimagineers.equinor.com.
14.2 The Promoter reserves the right to hold void, suspend, cancel, or amend the prize Competition where it becomes necessary to do so.
14.3 The Competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law, and the parties submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.